SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-09 19:47:26

gap0134

OCIServerAttach failed...but shouldn't have

So I am setting up my new work laptop.  It is Windows 7 64-bit.  I installed Oracle Client and Tools 10g.  I download SqlDbx.  Try to run a Microsoft SQL Server connection.  Works.  Ok. So I try a Oracle Server connection.  Fails.  I get the OCIServerAttach failed message.  I saw another forum topic that was similar.  But I think my issue is slightly different.  Here is why:

My old work laptop is Windows 7 64-bit, Oracle Client and Tools 10g and SqlDbx and is working fine.  I am not a full local administrator on my new laptop, I think this has something to do with it personally.  Also on my new laptop I can use SQL*Plus just fine.  Something is fishy.

I tried running SqlDbx with a -l in the command line.  I looked in the SqlDbx folder and nada, no log to look at.  I really like SqlDbx and want to keep using it.  But I am seriously at a loss on what to do.  I have even thrown explicit rights to the folder SqlDbx is in to make it work.  Any ideas?

#2 2011-10-09 20:02:47

gap0134

Re: OCIServerAttach failed...but shouldn't have

Figured out my own problem.  I tried logging in as local Administrator.  That didn't even work.

I initially located SqlDbx in the following folder:  C:Program Files (x86)SqlDbx

I moved it to C:SqlDbx. 

Worked fine.  Would like to see the product a little more Windows security friendly.

#3 2011-10-09 23:37:01

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

I am not sure what it has to do with Windows security.
You do not need to be local admin in order to run it.
It runs fine in a very restrictive corporate environments.
What version of Oracle client you installed 64 or 32 bit.

#4 2013-05-30 02:41:52

Zyxious

I had exactly the same problem, I got "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connected identifier specified", when trying to connect to my local Oracle server. Tried many things including this:

http://www.easywebtech.com/oracle/con_err.html
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/24165/0/

But those didn't solve the problem.

Moving SQLDbx from "C:Program Files (x86)SqlDbx" to "C:SqlDbx" also solved my problem.

I'm not sure what the problem is but I tried to run SQLDbx as admin in program files but that didn't work either.

Thought that I should post this for the record, maybe someone else finds this helpful.

I'm using Windows 7.

Last edited by Zyxious (2013-05-30 02:43:07)

Board footer