SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-26 08:32:31

geo

Issue with Limit number of returned rows

I have set the limit of returned rows to 111111, and querying a large table indeed returns this number of rows in the result grid.
But querying a huge table I noticed that processing *continues* after the counter has reached 111111 rows -- however if I cancel the query shortly after starting it  the grid has already been populated with 111111 rows.

So it would seem that the row limit is enforced at the GUI level but no longer at the DB level. I couldn't find any "SET ROWCOUNT 111111" in the profiler.

(sqldbx 4.2, sql server 2012)

#2 2014-06-26 18:44:43

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Issue with Limit number of returned rows

We never used SET ROWCOUNT to limit number of returned rows.
The way it's done we just retrieve whatever number of rows and then cancel the rest.
This is highly dependent on queries, databases and drivers, but very generic and works in all instances

#3 2014-06-27 10:25:30

geo

As execution continues long after the counter in the status bar has reached the Row Limit, but clicking Cancel at that point does have the desired effect, could it be you use two different methods for cancelling the query? And one of those no longer works for me?

FYI:

1. It's not related to the query, it's a basic select * from a table, no filtering, no aggregating, no sorting, and judging by the status bar counter, rows arrive almost instantly.

2. Two things have changed to my set-up recently:
  (1) upgraded to sqldbx 4.2 (from 3.66 or 4.0, not sure)
  (2) fixed the Driver Load Order, as you advised here http://sqldbx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=632

Will do some more testing next week.

#4 2014-06-27 16:51:54

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Ok. I see that a change was made which looks to cause this issue.
It will be fixed in the next release.

Board footer