SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-15 03:52:14

puliram

Display data

Hi
This is Rama, from IBM.  I am the one in IBM who explored your tool in Internet and recommended on this tool. Recently we procured one license to test the features and performance of this tool.  Looks good and we have plan of procuring about 45 licenses. So, we are working on that and checking the existing more features and options to make the entire team work comfortable with the tool.

Here are few features that we may missed to find in your tool, please help to find these features-

1. Connecting directly to DB2 database. Right now we are using the IBM DB2 connect tool drivers and there we are configuring databases and using those here.  Our requirement is, how can we connect directly from this SqlDbx tool.

2. When a query starts executing, its just displaying the number of records its reading and the result screen remains white.  But our requirement is, it has to display the results on screen as soon as the data is read from database, instead of remaining white results screen, until it reads all records from databases and displaying all records at once at the end.

3. We found some issue in reading the records, if records in a table more more than 1.5 Millions.  Some memory error we are getting. we want to read about 100 millions of records without any memory issues.

4. Can we have a user friendly drop down filter option like how we have in TOAD.  Because as everyone got used to TOAD in our team and now we are switching it to SqlDbx, many of the guys in team are voting for this feature. Because this makes the data check very easy and effective.

I may come up with some more features, when I am done with the team review.

Thanks & Regards
Rama

Last edited by puliram (2012-05-15 06:24:29)

#2 2012-05-15 22:02:41

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Display data

1. You can connect directly and only thing you need is DB2 ODBC driver. It can be installed or configured manually
2. Not sure why is this a requirement. Displaying data while receiving it can slow down application
3. 64 bit version is capable of retrieving much more data than 32 bit version.
4. Do not have access to TOAD. Please provide more details

#3 2012-05-15 23:11:41

puliram

2.  There are lot of benefits in displaying data while retriving.  I can put forward few of them here.

Suppose If I fired a query against a wrong table, while looking at displaying data, I can alert myself that, O I am at wrong table, I can stop the query execution and fix the query and run against right one.  In current situation, Let us say, its having too many records, I dont recognize till end about my mistake and its wasting lot of my time.

While seeing at the data, suppose some of my key fields are populating nulls, I can recognize at the initial stage itself that something went wrong with my data load into table.  Nulls got populated. I can stop and start fixing on that error.

While data is displaying, I can simultaneously start analyzing my data by scrolling down, by the time it displays all the data in case of huge tables.

There are lot more benefits in displaying data simultaneously and thats the reason why every tool in market perform this task except quite a very few.

3. Does 64 bit makes such a huge different, like displaying from 1.5 million to 100 million data will out any memory error?

4. Its simple feature.  To be more clear on this, lets say we have data in excel and we go to tools and filter option in Excel. Then how we get the drop down filter option in Excel, exactly similar feature is available by default in TOAD. After displaying the entire data, we can just drop down the filter from column name and select the required filter value

Last edited by puliram (2012-05-16 03:41:49)

#4 2012-05-17 22:22:00

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

2. I see your point.
3. Amount of data will be limited by available memory
4. Clear now.

From the way you describe your requirements I am not sure that SqlDbx is a right tool for you.
Looks like you looking for data analysis solution.
SqlDbx is a query tool and will not perform certain functions as efficient as specialized data analysis application.

#5 2012-05-18 07:55:41

puliram

First of all thanks a lot for your prompt replies.  This makes my life easy.

We am purely looking for Query tool only. Not any of analysis tool. I was pointing out those points because other Query tools are having those options but are expensive in market. So we (IBM team) is looking for a better tool and with reasonable price within project budjet. SqlDbx is closer to our requirement but missing few features which I pointed in previous posts.

As you said to go for 64 bit server.  Right now all our Laptops are having Window XP 32 bit.  If we upgrade our Laptops to 64 bit, do we need to get back to you guys for different version of SqlDbx or can we install the same version on both 32 and 64 bits servers.

Is there any possibility that, within the tool, can you guys enhance some feature that, based on huge volume, can the memory increase automatically by itself without failing with memory issue while reading huge volumes from database?

Thanks

#6 2012-05-29 08:58:35

puliram

Is there any possibility that, within the tool, can you guys enhance some feature that, based on huge volume, can the memory increase automatically by itself without failing with memory issue while reading huge volumes from database?

#7 2012-05-29 20:13:20

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

We do not currently have any plans to change how we handle results.
We think that 1.5 - 2.0 million rows retrieved for x86 version is more than adequate.
As I mentioned before x64 bit version can retrieve more data depending on available memory.

Board footer