SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-07 12:29:43

ptoniolo

Visual Diff: same object name in different schemas

If you have the same object name in different schemas, the comparison can finds spurious differences, due to a different ordering of the objects extracted from the two databases.

This can be easily fixed if you get the objects from the database ordering them with the schema name too. You can order by schema-objectname or objectname-schema, I prefer the former (I consider the schema name a sort of "partition" in the namespace) but if you want to provide a behavior similar to the one you have today, you can use the second ordering. Anyway, one of them has to be used!

Thanks
Pietro

#2 2014-05-08 14:45:28

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Visual Diff: same object name in different schemas

Yes you are right. We will fix it in a next release.
Also we found some other issues with schema compare.

#3 2015-04-22 09:54:23

ptoniolo

Re: Visual Diff: same object name in different schemas

The issue has been fixed many releases ago, and I thank you for that.

Anyway, you chose the ordering objectname-schemaname: for the sake of the comparison process this is ok, but I have to confirm that it is true that the schema name is normally used to "partition" the database objects!
With your ordering, when you create a single .sql file the objects belonging to the same schema are scattered in the file, and objects belonging to different realms but with similar names are side-by-side...

I believe that it would be better to exctract the objects by type (tables, views...), schema and objectname. Just a suggestion.

Board footer