SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-11 09:31:57

garbuya

SqlDbx enhancements

Currently if you right click on package and select "Script Package Header" or "Script Package Body" it paste code to the current script tab immediately after cursor. Why? It better be a new script tab! So you can make changes and compile it. Otherwise it is just a useless feature.
There is nothing you can do if code appears in the middle of your current script tab -- you cannot change it, you cannot compile it. The only thing you can do is to press Ctrl+Z and restore your current script page to what it was before!
---
Here is a bug:
All right click options related to Header brings the CREATE OR REPLACE statement only with closing double quote:
CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE TEST_PKG"  <====  only closing "
--
Improvement suggestion:
So far SqlDbx is the best tool for.... users and business analysts. But not for developers!
It has  tons of options of how to conveniently execute query and save the results, but has absolute minimum for convenient code editing and debugging!
I was trying to offer SqlDbx to our company several times to substitute the expensive TOADD (> 10000 licenses) but every time the objective was - it is not good for developers!
Most of such class of software offers edit and debug of the selected function in the package. I.e. if you click (+) next to the package name you would see the list of functions/procedures (headers and bodies will be displayed separately). Then if you double click on one of it you will jump directly to the edit of this selected code, so you can edit and compile it.
SqlDbx does not have such functionality.  It has two useless options "Script Package Header" and "Script Package Body" which brings the whole package to the existing script tab after cursor. There is one useful option "Edit package" which fortunately opens a package code in the new tab, but then you have to scroll thru the long source list to find your function.
Option "Package Properties" is just a clone of "Script Package Header", "Script Package Body". The only difference is that instead of bringing the code after cursor it just opens it in a separate window. But you cannot edit it and cannot compile, so it is just a "Read only" version of the first two options

In addition compiler is not reliable and very often Ctrl+A and F5 just corrupts your code, so you'd better make a copy of your code before you compile and save it.

Debugging option does not exist at all.
--
Are there any plans to improve SqlDbx to be the best tool for developers?

Last edited by garbuya (2014-08-11 10:43:04)

#2 2014-08-11 20:07:58

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: SqlDbx enhancements

Thank you very much for your constructive comments.
Let me address some of them.

If you want to put script in a new tab you can:
1. Check "Script Object in New Tab" in Tools->Options->Scripting/Log
2. Hold SHIFT when right clicking on Script menu item
3. Hold CTRL to put script on clipboard and the copy it where you want

Not sure what you mean by closing double quote. Can not reproduce it
Also what do you mean by "compiler is not reliable"

I meet a lot of Oracle developers and you will be surprised how many of them consider SQL*PLUS to be the best development tool.
My point is everybody finds the tool they like and feel comfortable with.

We do improve SqlDbx and will continue to do so.

Board footer