SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-31 12:50:36

JUPSHAW

ORA-12151 and ORA-03114 only in SqlDbx

Hello,

I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer or related post, but I'm hoping someone has a fix. My company is running SqlDbx Professional 5.11 and Oracle 11g. There is one particular Oracle server that is giving us connection and TNS issues, but we don't have these issues in TOAD or SQL Developer. I'm able to connect and run scripts, but quite often, if an employee is idle for more than a couple of minutes then we will get a combination of these two errors. I've talked with the DBAs but they insist nothing was changed on the server and since none of the other SQL tools are having the same issues, they have written this off as an issue with SqlDbx. Has anyone else had this issue or have any advice?

1    ORA-12151: TNS:received bad packet type from network layer
1    ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

#2 2017-07-31 20:30:52

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: ORA-12151 and ORA-03114 only in SqlDbx

We will contact you on your registered email address to get more information about this issue.

#3 2017-08-03 17:01:50

JUPSHAW

I have not received anything yet. Do you have any information?

#4 2017-08-04 03:07:18

timeco

Perhaps this info would help, I have the same issue with my client's Oracle server on Sqldbx (only one of three environments have this issue), but not on TOAD or SQLDeveloper.

It seems it happens for two reasons:
a) your Oracle server disconnects you after a period of time of inactivity (it's a session timeout set by your db admins)
b) when you execute a query, your client requests a connection from the server's connection pool and sometimes gets a dead (inactive, closed) connection. It tries to use it to execute a statement and fails, usually with ORA-03135 Connection lost contact error,   or   TNS bad package.

The reason why some other tools are resistant to either of these errors is simple - they use a different mechanism to check whether connection is alive (select 1 from dual), reopen connection if neccessary and then execute your statemant afterwards.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_connect_tim … imeout.htm

Last edited by timeco (2017-08-04 04:24:00)

Board footer