SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-10 20:38:05

mganci350

SQLDBX and TLS1.2 Support with SQL Server

Hello.
We have recently disabled Security Protocols lower thank TLS 1.2 in our Windows server dev environment for regulation reasons.
In some cases users with lower version or older SQL Native Driver will have SQLDBX connection failures with errors reporting SSL error or connection refused errors.
We are using SQLDBX 5.10.
In some cases we have the user simply install SQL Server Management Studio (17.8.1) and the SQLDBX with start connecting just fine.
In other cases the SQL Server Management Studio install does not help.
Our environments may have multiple SQL Native clients ranging from SQL 2008 , Native Client 11, Native Client 13 and I believe even Native Client 17.
I believe in the environments where SQLDBX is still not working it is not using the right driver.
How do I ensure it is using a certain SQL Native Client when multiple exist? Is there an option or setting I can add to force a specific driver to be used?

Thank you for your help.

Mark G.

#2 2020-01-10 20:51:30

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: SQLDBX and TLS1.2 Support with SQL Server

Yes. You can set driver search order in Tools->Options->Microsoft SQL Server->Driver Load Order

#3 2020-01-13 10:20:48

mganci350

Re: SQLDBX and TLS1.2 Support with SQL Server

Thank you for your response.
We have the following values for "Driver Load Order"

SQL Native Client, SQL Server

This particular windows server I am troubleshooting  has a few different versions of the Client. It has sql native client 2008 R2 and SQL Native Client 2012.
I believe SQLDBX is trying to use the 2008 Client and that is why it is failing.  Is there a way to be more specific in the "Driver Load Order" to ensure it is using more up to data drivers?
SQL Server Management Studio on this server works.

Thank you.

UPDATE:***** 1/13/2020 @ 10:56EST
We noticed in the sqldbx log that it was trying to load and use old drivers as suspected
We decided to remove the old 2008 client and drivers and SQLDBX is now picking up the new drivers.
Everything is working fine now.

Thank you.

Mark G

Last edited by mganci350 (2020-01-13 11:58:14)

Board footer