SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-03 11:28:14

Paul

Features

I have been using your product for a few weeks and have a few suggestions that you might consider:

1. When a new procedure is created, the procedure list should be updated. Either that or offer a way to refresh the lists (i.e. F5) would be nice.

2. The "Script objects in new tab" is a bit confusing to me. It works right when you create a script but editing a script always opens a new tab.

3. Along with #2 above, it would be nice that, when you "Script CREATE", that the script overwrites the contents of the tab contents instead of appending.

4. I work on a lot of scripts and it would be nice to make it so that you can gain more space on the screen. I find myself having to work with F11 and and Ctrl-F11 a lot. One of the things I like about MS Query Analyzer is that the results tab only shows after you run a query and a single key (F8) gives you maximum screen space. Maybe make F11 collapse both frames and have other keys to collapse the individual frames?

5. As others have commented, customizable toolbars would be nice. I could probably eliminate one of the toolbars if I could put all the buttons that I normally use on a single row.

6. One thing that would be handy is a "script recall" function. Kind of like how the Cmd window works in Windows. Pressing Ctrl-Up Arrow or Ctrl-Down Arrow would scroll through the last "x" number of SQL queries that have been executed and display in the current tab.

Best regards,

-Paul

#2 2009-09-03 14:18:58

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Features

1. There's a button on a toolbar to refresh objects. I agree we should add shortcut and menu too.
2. The behavior is different between "Script in New Tab" and "Edit Procedure".
   "Script in New Tabl" simply creates new tab and any change sets modified script flag on.
   "Edit Procedure" creates new tab and also sets modified flag on, but resets it if you execute script and no errors    happened.
3. I am not sure that can be a default behavior.
4. One key to expand / collapse everythin is a good idea. May be also to hide toolbars.
5. This will be added
6. This one I like. Now you can open "SQL History"  window and paste from it, but your suggestion is better.

#3 2009-09-04 09:20:40

Paul

Re: Features

Just a follow up on #3...

If I'm creating a new script by right clicking on an object and selecting "Script CREATE", it seems intuitive to me that I'd want only that script to show up in the tab. Not the script and whatever is currently in the tab.

Right now, I have to remember to clear the tab before I create a script. Since I work on scripts all day long, that's a lot of extra key strokes (or select/cut when I forget). I can't imagine a scenario when I'd want to clone a script and keep the contents of the tab, but maybe some other folks have a use for that behavior.

Maybe this could be a configurable option that you could turn on/off in the "Options" dialog? Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.

-Paul

Board footer