SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-07 05:32:45

aangelo

Suggestion - Synchronize Result Tab with Script Tab

Hello!
To avoid to create each time new result tabs or to overwrite the wrong one, I suggest  the option to synchronize Result Tabs with homonymous Script Tabs (except for the extension, eventually).
Thank you.

#2 2013-08-07 09:11:45

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Suggestion - Synchronize Result Tab with Script Tab

Go to Tools->Options->Results and uncheck "Multiple Results Tab" option

#3 2013-08-07 09:21:59

aangelo

It is not the same, doing so I have all my results always in the same Result Tab.
I suggested to add a new option that allows to work with two or more named Script Tabs, with results in the corresponding two or more Result Tabs (named in the same way).
In this way comparing results will be much more easy (and friendly).

#4 2013-10-07 13:24:29

garbuya

I vote for it with both my hands up!
Each script tab should have its own result tab!
Right now only each active connection has its own result tab. Lets do one more step and have a separate result tab for each script tab.
And it would be nice if you have ability to look on the result tab of another connection without switching to this connection.
For example - I connected to server 1 and executed a query. Results ended in the tab named "Result 1".
Then I connected to server 2 and executed a query. I still have "Result 1" tab, but for this connection.
In order to look on server 1 results I need to select a connection from a drop down list, look on results, select server 2 from the drop down list and get back to results. How annoying!
And the only way to quickly look and compare results of both connections is to execute  Visual Diff or import it to the multiple EXCEL sheets.
If results of all open connections will always be visible it would make life much easier.
Instead of generic name "Result x" the tab name could be "Connection name - Result x"

#5 2013-10-07 19:05:54

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

The first item in Results Grid right click menu is "Results in a new Window".
It's there exactly for the reason you describe above.

#6 2013-10-08 03:41:02

aangelo

Please, apologize me but I try to explain better with a frequent workflow:

1. I execute my Script 1 and its result goes in Result 1.

2. I execute another query in Script 2 and its result goes in Result 2 (if I create or set current the new tab Result 2).

3. I want to modify and re-run Script 1, but I must set Script 1 as current tab to have the new result in the same tab.

4. the same occurs when I repeat step 2 again (etc.)

After set the two Result tabs 'table1' and 'table2', I also tried with commands:

In Script 1:

cmd result_current = table1
select something from mytable1

In Script 2:

cmd result_current = table2
select something from mytable2

but everytime I run Script1 and Result table2 is current, Result table2 is cleaned (a bug? I don't know if the result goes to Result table1: the problem is that Result table2 is cleaned).

It would all be much more friendly if SqlDbx allowed a (optional) direct link between a Script panel and a corresponding namesake Result panel.

Thank you.

#7 2013-10-08 09:40:59

garbuya

Thanks for explanation of "Results in a new Window" option. I never paid attention to it. Maybe because of confusing name?  "Save results in the new window" would be more clear.

#8 2013-10-08 18:58:13

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Yes, looks like cmd result_current=table1  does not behave correctly.
I am still not convinced that the workflow you describe is not covered when "Multiple Result Sets" option unchecked.
You switch between script windows and results switch too.

#9 2013-10-09 03:57:04

aangelo

The problem is that very often there is the need to compare the result of two (or many) queries (each one in a separate Script tab) and setting "Results in a new tab" increase each time the number of useless Result tabs.
Operating the new way the number of useful Result tabs is the same of the number of Script tabs.

#10 2013-10-09 08:33:44

garbuya

Is it possible instead of a stand alone window when you click "Results in new window" just have a results copied into the new tab?
Or even better: have this as an option -- "results it new window" or "results in new tab"
There are too many open windows if you try to save 6 - 7 results

#11 2013-10-09 21:12:20

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

I am confused. Why would you want copy of results in a new tab?

#12 2013-10-10 09:18:35

garbuya

"Why would you want copy of results in a new tab?"
Multiple reasons. First of all to preserve a long running query results and do not accidently override when executing another query
New result tab is a good oprion, but you have to be very careful and check, which tab is active every time before you run another query. Most of the time you forgot to do it and oops! Your long waiting resilt is gone!
Second reason - to be able to put two results next to each other and visually look and compare

#13 2013-10-10 09:20:31

garbuya

From other end having each result as a new window makes workspace too crouded. i would rather have 10 tabs in one window then 10 stant alone windows

#14 2013-10-10 10:34:49

aangelo

It seems to me that in this post there are two distinct suggestions and this can be confusing:

• my suggestion was to keep Result tabs synchronized with each own Script tabs (simply by name).

• garbuya's suggestion was for copy of results in a new tab instead of into a new window.

Maybe it is better to split in two distinct posts.
Thank you

#15 2013-10-10 10:40:19

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Oh, OK. That makes sense.
One new window with multiple tabs.

#16 2013-10-31 11:56:51

cthomson

This would be the most awesome update!  Having the Script tabs automatically coordinate with the Result tabs would simplify many comparison and test situations.  If it was an option to only create a new Result tab when a new Script tab was created and have the Result tab focus change to match the active Script tab (i.e. when you select the "Script n" tab, the results area switches to the "Result n" tab), it would be easy to run multiple queries and switch back and forth to see how different clauses affect the results.

Please, if you only add one new feature, my vote would be for this one.

#17 2013-10-31 20:23:08

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

I am not totally convinced, but looks like we should implement this feature.

Board footer