SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-20 11:01:48

garbuya

How to use Quick Diff?

How to use this feature?
I tried to highlight some text and drag it to the Quick Diff icon but the problem is that dragging only works within the script window.
As soon as I reach the top of the script window and move cursor ove the toolbars area dragging stops working.
So it is impossible to drag anything to the toolbar area

Here is a bug -- Ctrl+Shift+Q instead of passing to Quick Diff only the selected text passes a whole script window
Another one -- what do "Compare Schemas", "Compare Data" and  "Compare Files" icons on the toolbar of Quick Diff do?
Nothing happends if you click on any of it
I assume, "Compare Files" can be used to compare two files stored on a harddrive, correct? So how to use it?

Initially Quick Diff window opens without connection to any database.
But if you click on the connection drop down list and select a connection you will be immediatly kicked out fron Quick Diff window to the main window

So how to use Quick Diff window?

Last edited by garbuya (2013-11-20 11:21:10)

#2 2013-11-20 23:24:28

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: How to use Quick Diff?

1. I am not sure why you not able to drag and drop selection on Quick Diff toolbar button which is on main window. It looks that it works as expected.
2. Ctrl+Shift+Q is not for selection, but for the whole script. There's no shortcut key for selection. You can use right click menu item "Quick Diff Selection"
3. What you mean nothing happens. Based on button you click you will see different options. If you select "Compare Files" then you see to edit boxes where to put file names.
4. First you have to click on "Connect". What happens? Drop down populated?

#3 2013-11-21 15:28:18

garbuya

#1 I'm selecting text,  holding the left button and dragging it to the top. I can see the drugging icon - mouse arrow with a tiny box below it. As soon as mouse arrow runs over the 2nd toolbar my drag icon is changing to the crossed circle. As soon as my mouse is over the 1st toolbar SOMETIMES the dragging icon is back and I can drop my text to Quick Diff icon, but most of the time it is still a crossed circle. Maybe it depends on the size of selected text?

#2 If Ctrl+Shift+Q is not for selection, but for the whole script then you need to fix your help file -- it is too confusing!
So, there is no shorcut to send a selected text to the Quick Diff except the right click menu? Not the best solution. You would need to use both, keyboard and mouse! And why would you need a separate shortcut to send a whole script? It would be much better and less confusing if Ctrl+Shift+Q operates only with the selected text. Wanna a whole file? Do Ctrl-A first! Not a big deal! But, at least, it will be a consistent shortcut to send a selected text only with keyboard, without using a mouse.

#3, #4 I connected to the server, selected 2 pieces of text from my script window, rigt clicked "Quick Diff Selection" for each selection and now I'm in Quick Diff screen.
There are two toolbars there and window with a compared results.
There is a drop down list of connections on the first toolbar, but no connections are visible, first row is blank and you need to click on drop down arrow to see connections.
I'm clicking a drop down list on the 1st toolbar.
I see my active connection in bold and other connections dimmed.
If I select any connection it immediatly kicks me out of Quick Diff screen to the main screen with my script windows
Quick Diff window still remains open and I can switch back to it using the "Windows' menu, but nothing has changed on this window -- it is still not connected

Secont attempt.

I'm back to Quick Diff screen and see what i just described above.
I'm clicking any of the first 3 icons on the 2nd toolbar, for example, "Compare Files". Compared text disappered and it is just a blank gray screen with 2 toolbars at the top. There is no place to select files for compare, no edit boxes opened.

BTW, why do you need to select a connection to compare 2 files on your harddrive? Or these are not files from the disk, but something else?

Is there any way I cand send you a print screens? it will be more clear

Last edited by garbuya (2013-11-21 17:08:20)

#4 2013-11-21 23:54:47

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

#1. This is how it works. Icon only changes on top of button which can accept selected text.
#2. Agree
#3. Ok. Now I understand. You can not change mode from Quick Diff window. Close it and select Visual Diff from menu or main toolbar. Other options should be disable in Quick Diff mode

Board footer