SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-27 11:23:34

jlipman
Systems Programmer Analyst, Sr.

Disconnected + Search In Database

SqlDbx Team,

I uncovered an inconvenience I thought I would share for a possible enhancement.

In my scenario, I connect to a database over a firewall, which disconnects me after a certain amount of time. Yet there is no direct indication of the disconnect because SqlDbx still appears connected; the connection icon still shows that I am connected. Then, when I choose "Search In Database" and proceed, it makes me click through EVERY object with a disconnected error message popup. That is a huge list to click through!

So, to correct this, here are two suggestions...

1) Have SqlDbx check for connection periodically and ensure the window shows 'disconnected' accurately, if it has lost it's connection.
2) Either a) It would be helpful to prevent "Search In Database" if you are truly not connected to the database, or
             b) Show the Disconnected error message only once and stop the process completely.

Thank you!
Jason Lipman

#2 2014-05-27 20:02:33

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Disconnected + Search In Database

1. There's no way for SqlDbx to know when firewall closes connection to database. Periodically checking if connection alive will require explicitly to execute something. Not sure I like this.
2. What if you set SqlDbx disconnect option close to the firewall timeout?
3. One thing we can do is explicitly ask to restore connection on first error.

#3 2014-06-03 11:08:39

Allen

Re: Disconnected + Search In Database

Regarding #3, could you just attempt to reconnect automatically (without asking)?

Board footer