SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-06 10:09:57

moccq

Connecting with DBMS Type TERADATA vs ODBC

Looking for some feedback regarding access to TeraData systems using the DBMS type TERADATA vs ODBC.

Specifically,  TERADATA systems offer rich METADATA information ( eg. join paths etc). that can me made visible using other Query tools such as ATANA.   

If I connect to a TERADATA dbms via ODBC it appears as if the rich Metadata is not available and the gui renders basic capability information, Tables, Views etc..  I am trying to understand if the ODBC dbms connection imposes limits on what is visible to the gui and if connecting via the TERADATA dbms type opens up a enriched set of metadata and capabilities for SqlDBX.. ( fyi: current limits in our environment only allow connections via ODBC.  I am looking for any/all information to better understand the possibilities of using the TD dbms type.

Thanks in advance..

moccq

#2 2013-02-06 17:17:56

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Connecting with DBMS Type TERADATA vs ODBC

ODBC connection type uses only information available through ODBC API and does not try to figure out what kind of database it connects to and what extra information available.
Type TERADATA does know about the actual type of database it connects to.
Both connections use TERADATA ODBC driver to connect.
Unfortunately currently there's no difference between these connection types in case of TERADATA

#3 2013-03-01 16:16:53

moccq

Re: Connecting with DBMS Type TERADATA vs ODBC

Thank you for the reply..

Board footer